Friday, December 29, 2006

Woo! Hand-Drawn!


I don't know about you other designers out there, but I'm constantly trying to keep things interesting for myself in creating things for my store. I'm always trying new things to keep the experience exciting and challenging, soooo... I'm going to treat myself to a drawing tablet this weekend (a Christmas present to MYSELF!)

I used a Wacom tablet years ago for Photoshop and Illustrator projects at work, but lost the pen along the way, was too lazy to get a new one, and well... just lost interest in using it. Well, now I have these amazing professional-level artist friends in SL like Donovan and Noam, who've created awesome hand-drawn products for SL and do these totally impressive anime-style drawings. I'm so in awe of their skills and talent, and I'm sooo jealous! But I've also been inspired to up my game a bit and give it a try. My drawing skills don't even come close to Noam or Donovan's, but I'll certainly do my best :-) I do have lots of drawing and painting classes under my belt from my school days, as well as lots and lots of photo retouching experience from work, so I guess we'll see how prepared I am for my self-inflicted challenge! I'll probably continue incorporating photo elements as well, but I'd really like to create my own shading, folds and detailing for the clothing bases.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to my first Photoshop endeavor using a pen and tablet in creating some cool stuff for Miau Haus. Keep your eyes peeled!

Miau for now! ^.^

3 comments:

Noam said...

My only advice is Don't get discouraged!!! It takes a bit of getting used to the hardware. I think you have oodles of talent so the design for you will be easy as pie. Just don't get too frustrated if in the beginning you have troubles controlling the pen.

Ru-る said...

Is like learning to draw with your hand under a board. They used to make us do that. >.< But! Once you get the hang of it, it's so versatile.

Nex Brannan said...

It will change the way you work for the better. I'm a wacom convert from way way back and I love 'em.

I have just the basic 3x5 graphire 1, one of their very first usb ones. It does take a bit to get used to not looking at your hand (it did for my anyhow) but keep at it, you'll never go back to drawing with a potato